Friday 13 November 2015

Ben Matthews - Environment Artist. Building the Spiral Staircase.

The tower in the level was the last part of the game I modeled I did this as I believed it would take more time than the other areas I had to model. However it didn't actually take as long as I expected.

Initially I had just placed a long turning Slope in the tower to act as a placeholder staircase. I used this as the basis to create the actual staircase.

The staircase revolves around the central pillar hugging the outside of the walls. The towers design was inspired by medieval tower designs. These were common in Europe at the time. Especially In Germany where Gothic influence could be clearly seen in many building designs.


I started off by duplicating the stairs I had used in the main entrance.


I positioned them above the long curving slope.


I then used the Non Linear Bend Tool to twist the stairs to match the curved slope. However they didn't quite fit so I restarted the process and doubled their length by duplicating them, then re joining them. I then re applied the Non Linear Bend and bent them into position. I made a few tweaks to the stairs using Soft Select so that they would fit perfectly.


Once the stairs were in position I placed multiple edge loops along the slope. I did this to match the number of edges on the stairs so that I could join the two together. I then combined them together and merged the vertices to create one object.


I then placed the stairs back inside the tower making sure they fit perfectly allowing enough room for both the player and camera to maneuver.



I went on to Optimize this Mesh and reduce the tri count by deleting edge loops and merging vertices using the target weld tool. This will be covered in a later post.

Here are a few examples of camera angles that could be used in the final game. I have again used placeholder characters to give a sense of scale.




No comments:

Post a Comment